Wednesday, December 29, 2010

And so it begins...

I got a call from daycare a couple of weeks ago. There had been an accident. Not the potty training kind, the real kind. The lady on the phone was very calm and reassuring but thought that I had better come to get William as he might need to see a dentist. WHAAAAAT, a dentist? Holy crap. So, I rushed out of work to go survey the damage.
As you can see, the damage wasn't too bad, but still. Lordy beady. Fat Lip City.

Apparently, William was outside playing and was riding or pushing a little scooter. He "accidentally" ran it into one of the teacher's legs. The force of his impact threw him forward onto the handlebars. He had a pretty good cut right outside his lip and he did impact two of his front teeth, pushing them back into the gums a bit. I put accidentally into quotations, because I know my child. He thinks it is GREAT fun to crash anything and everything. Stuffed animals, play trains and trucks and loves to run smack into somebody. So I really have no doubt that he ran into his teacher for fun. Well, hopefully he has learned a lesson with this tragedy, but I sincerely doubt it.

Luckily, it was early enough in the day that our doctor's office was still open. We rushed over for her to look at his cut and teeth. She put some liquid adhesive on his cut, which once cleaned up didn't look nearly as bad. And felt his teeth. She thought one might be slightly wiggly, but didn't seem to actually be loose. Just to be safe we visited a dentist the next morning. After an x-ray and exam she determined he had pushed them in slightly, but not enough to impact his permanent teeth and they were not loose so no apparent danger in losing them. Hallelujah!!!

We discovered something else interesting with the x-ray. William does not have any permanent eye-teeth! Just a little genetic hiccup. We knew orthodontia was in his future anyway, because Lucas and I both needed it, but it may be even more extensive than we imagined!

After a week the cut is almost entirely healed and gums are a pretty pink again so all is well! However, I am thinking instead of a college fund, I might just start a "medical emergency/dental" fund. I think we might have a more immediate and pressing need for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment