Friday, September 8, 2017

We are the CHAMPIONS!!!


June, 2017 brought about a VERY exciting event! William's spring flag football season was coming to an end. William was so lucky to be a part of a special team - twice. The first season (Fall 2016) we joined a new league and didn't know who or what we would find on our team including coaches. I was a little apprehensive because as parents we've all been on the sidelines for a game and watch coaches or parents conduct themselves in a way that may not set the very best example for our kids.

We've been LUCKY all the way to have kind, considerate, PATIENT coaches for every sport and season so far. But, I've seen some other coaches and while none of them were candidates for "America's Worst ..." but still.

The NFL league we got into last fall landed us with several of William's friends and classmates from Cotton Creek and two TERRIFIC coaches! So positive, patient and kind every single time. We had not intended to play again in the spring, but we had a great fall season and a 2nd place win in the tournament. I got an email from the coach during winter break asking to get everyone together again, so I went along.

Part of the email the head coach shared with the parents at Christmas last year: "My son, Grant, brought home an ornament he made at school in which he listed every single player's name and the team colors, etc. I asked him why he thought this last season's team was so special and he replied 'because every single kid contributed to the team and to every single win.' And I realized Grant was right! We don't normally play spring football due to soccer but I would love to get the team back together one more time before they have to split due to differences in grades/ages."

Clearly, none of the parents could resist this plea, because everyone signed up again. What's really nice about the team is all of the boys get along so well. They play well together off the field and all seem to enjoy each other's company. So spring football here we come. Case in point.


The season went well, but not too many wins. However, something happens when these boys get to a tournament. I CAN NOT explain it. They are focused, they are driven, they just excel!

They played their hearts out and had some fierce competition. But they NEVER gave up. I have lots more videos and pics to share. But, this video is my favorite for very obvious reasons. This is the LAST game for the CHAMPIONSHIP. This other team has plays written inside their wristbands, they are crazy competitive and here come our boys who on other days seem like the sandlot team. This play was in the 2nd half and our team had 1 touchdown so far. I don't know if Blogger will load the video - it said it was too big.



Kid slips past everyone, including William who tried to grab his flags. William starts pursuit. 

Here comes the rest of his team but they are too far away. This kid is about 10 yards from making a touchdown! Get 'em, William!


William grabs his flag!!! The Falcons never scored. Game over. 



Proud day and so much fun! Every single kid on this team contributed something significant to the championship win, fantastic touchdowns, amazing flag pulls, stellar defense or blocking. They were so fun to watch!



Always, William's #1 fan! 


No comments:

Post a Comment