Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Bend it Like Beckham ...


Or a better title would be "Bend it Like Beckham, We Ain't".



William has started playing soccer this fall. He participates in a class during school called "Happy Feet" where they teach the kids soccer skills in a fun, non-competitive way with lots of songs and games. He LOVES it!

So it seemed like a natural extension to finally participate in a Saturday "league". It is still not really a league because the kids spend the first 45 minutes doing games and drills and then the last 10-15 minutes playing a game against each other. The ball frequently goes out of bounds and the coaches just toss in another one.



I like it because it seems to be a nice easy transition to actually learning how to play a full game. William just loves the chance to run around a field and yell his head off. Some things will never change.

I apologize, but I was not able to get any of the videos uploaded for some reason, blogger keeps reporting an error. Maybe one day I will get it figured out.

I especially love the funny things these kids do at this age. One kid spent an entire Saturday morning walking around the field backwards and yelling "I can't stop walking backwards!". Another one rushed towards the ball during the game portion and threw himself onto the ball, covering it with his body. In the center of the field. His father happened to be standing next to me on the sidelines and laughingly suggested that his son become the goalie!

William spent this last Saturday during the game portion standing at one end or walking around in this weird crouch/stance. He said there were bears on the field. Sigh. David Beckham, you have nothing to fear.



No comments:

Post a Comment